If you’re new to outdoor gym workouts there are plenty of things you can try as a beginner. Make sure you’ve had clearance from your doctor to exercise if you have any injuries or health concerns.
For the following outdoor gym workouts for beginners, start with a 5-10 minute warm-up, which gradually builds up to moderate intensity. This could be a brisk walk to your outdoor gym location, or around the gym equipment area. Afterwards, cool down with an easy 5-minute walk and a few stretches.
Both of the following outdoor gym workouts for beginners cover the major muscles in the body. They included a bit of cardio work and a bit of strengthening. Start with 10-15 repetitions of each exercise unless otherwise specified.
Outdoor gym workout for beginners: Option 1
- Bodyweight squats
- Step ups on a low step – two minutes each leg
- Plank hold on knees – up to one minute
- Star jumps one minute (or side taps for a low impact alternative)
- Chest press machine if available. Otherwise, push-ups on knees
- Light jog around the outdoor gym area, or brisk walk (or walk-jog) – two minutes
- Seated row machine if available. Otherwise modified chin ups
Outdoor gym workout for beginners: Option 2
- Dips on a park bench or high step (if you’re still building your strength, do them whilst sitting on the ground)
- Bodyweight lunges holding a pole for balance. Alternatively, you can use a leg press machine if available
- Lat pulldown machine if available. Otherwise modified chin ups
- Torso twist machine (2 minutes) if available. Alternatively, do a side plank on your knees – 30 seconds each side
- Ski machine two minutes if available. Otherwise jogging, or other cardio of your choice
- Calf raises – either on the flat ground or with feet halfway off a step
- Superman (extending opposite arm and leg), on hands and knees. Repeat both sides.